Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Making a list...

I received this eclectic list in an e-mail from a friend with instructions to bold the things that I have done. What have you tried? Perhaps you can add one or two to your New Year’s resolution list.

1. Started my own blog
2. Slept under the stars (A tent counts, right?)
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than I can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland/world (That was why I couldn't afford what I gave to charity)
8. Climbed a mountain (See recent post on Blood Mtn. It's no Kilimanjaro, but...)
9. Held a praying mantis (And walking sticks and lizards and frogs--none by choice)
10. Sung a solo (This one wasn't by choice, either. "When you wish upon a star" in the 5th grade play. The selection was based on grade point average, not voice quality)
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched lightning at sea (Okay, it was really by lake.)
14. Taught myself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown my own vegetables (Tomatoes, squash, peppers and goards--is that a veggie?)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitchhiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (Who me? cough, cough)
24. Built a snow fort (No, but we built a snowman that was over six feet tall.)
25. Held a lamb (How about petted one every year for seven years at the preschool's annual trip to the petting zoo?)
26. Gone skinny dipping (No comment)
27. Run a Marathon (Still trying to make it across the BBQ parking lot)
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice (I wanted to do this in Vegas but didn't, darn it!)
29. Seen a total eclipse (In elementary school. It was a very big deal. We made the little contraptions to look through.)
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (More sets than rises. I still want to do an Easter sunrise service.)
31. Hit a home run (This will never, ever happen.)
32. Been on a cruise
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community (Good for them)
36. Taught myself a new language (Texting)
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (I was seven, and my grandparents gave me a $100 bill.)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing (Indoors, but I'm counting it)
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke (I would like to sometime, if the memory of my solo ever fades.)
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight (I may have staggered a little.)
46. Been transported in an ambulance (Why did that dog cross the road?)
47. Had my portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing (The day after a national Jamaican holiday; our guides were too hung over to care about helping us find fish.)
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (Does the one in Vegas count?)
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (It was fun as long as I had my life jacket within view.)
52. Kissed in the rain (Sadly, no)
53. Played in the mud (I grew up making mudpies.)
54. Gone to a drive-in theater (Mom and Dad would take me along as child. I'd sleep in the back while they watched the movie, in theory, anyway.)
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business (Does selling Mary Kay count?)
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (Call me if you'd like some)
62. Gone whale watching (What??)
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma (Just blood. I did it for the cookies.)
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check (To the PTO, of all people. I was in the process of changing accounts. They didn't believe me, either.)
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy (All of my Barbies, including kissing Barbie. My daughter won't go anywhere near them.)
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten caviar (Not as good as it sounds)
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades (What about the Okefenokee Swamp?)
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone (My son asked me today if anyone in our family had broken a bone. I said, "You aren't planning on being the first, are you?")
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (Motorcycle, yes, speeding, I'm not sure)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had my picture in the newspaper (Growing up, I was in ads with my neighbor for the local dairy, even though I hated milk.)
85. Read the entire Bible (I'm ashamed to say, no)
86. Visited the White House (I would love to do this one.)
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (Are you kidding? I cooked deer meat once and got very sick just from smelling it.)
88. Had chickenpox (Guilty)
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury (Defendent was guilty, too; he actually wore the same thing in court that he did when he committed the crime.)
91. Met someone famous (James Garner and Mitch Gaylord. Gaylord was an Olympic gymnast who was in some movie. I think you've heard of Garner.)
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby (or two or three)
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone (How did we survive without them?)
99. Been stung by a bee (Numerous times walking barefoot through the clover as a child. I was also once stung on the lip while smelling a rose.)
100. Ridden an elephant (Did you know they have hairy backs? Check back--I'll try to find the photo to prove it.)

No comments: