Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Are you ready for some football?


You can feel it in the air...Men of all ages get a spring in their step; their eyes sparkle bit brighter; they become just plain giddy, really. No, it's not love...it's football season.

Football is a universal for men. They can sit and watch and never have to utter a word. When they do, it's in a strange language that I don't understand. I can listen to an entire conversation and not a understand a word they are saying. You know, they want to know the odds of such and such team; how so and so's offense is looking, followed by comments about the defense, the tight end, the quarterback, the safety (Do you ask about the safety?) I admit; that's all I got.

I've noticed more and more woman seem to be football fans. Some even claiming that they love it. Okay...if you say so...

Don't get me wrong. I like football. I grew up in a family of avid Georgia Bulldogs fans. Believe me, ever since my sister and I were young, we've cheered for the Dawgs. We learned pretty quickly that when they win, we had a much better weekend, including, perhaps, even a trip to Dairy Queen. My uncle is such a Dawgs fan, he would crawl up the stadium steps barking--completely sober. His pet was a Georgia mascot look alike, named, what else? UGA

I went to a Georgia game recently, and I enjoyed it. I love to tailgate, check out game day fashions, eat boiled peanuts, pet UGA after the game, and, oh, yeah, and cheer loudly when there's a touchdown. Other than that, I'm lost! I've tried to follow the game, but my mind always seems to wander, and my eyes get a little blurry.

At the last game, my husband and I had separate seats, so I was in charge of explaining what was going on to my young son. I felt like such an authority. Poor baby. He believed all the stuff I made up. But I'm sure he will soon be setting me straight.

Although I'm sure I should be more liberated, I'll happily serve up the wings and pop the tops on the brews. You, men, sit back and enjoy the game.

In the meantime, tennis, anyone??

No comments: