Thursday, September 12, 2013

Getting Pretty Muddy



I gotta admit I used to love making mud pies as kid. As an adult, however, the thought of purposely wading in it was not appealing. Yet, for my 15-year-old daughter, it was a goal and one she wanted to share with me – her over-40 mama. 

Would could I say? 

In one month, I’ll be dressed in pink and participating in the Pretty Muddy Women’s Mud Run in Atlanta, Ga. Actually, it’s just south of Atlanta in the tiny town of Fairburn. I’ll be covered in mud, having run 3.1 miles, tackled 10 obstacles, and I will pose with my incredible teammates, and I will feel proud. I will feel exhilarated. I will be a mess – and I won’t care.

I know because I did my first mud run this summer at the urging of my daughter. It seemed an impossible – and dirty – task. But, after having surgery last Oct. and being on bed rest for a time, I knew I was lucky for a number of reasons. One, to have the ability to participate – not win - but participate, and, two, to have a teenage daughter who wants to do something so healthy – with me, nonetheless.

Of course, she hasn’t seen my costume yet …

Want to join me in this all-women's run? Visit www.prettymuddywomensrun.com to start your own team or sign up as an individual. If you'd like to be on my team, just email me at leighslifeblog@aol.com. Event occurs Sat., Oct. 12. Start times vary. Free family run at the end for husbands, brothers and the like.

No comments: