Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I voted. How about you?


Having voted early, I spent Election Day shopping with my daughter. As we browsed the sales rack of the department store, I noticed that a girl I knew from high school worked there. I started to say hi, but just then she and her co-worker began bragging loudly about being unregistered voters. They were so proud they even gave each other high fives.

I wanted to cover my daughter’s ears. Imagine all the elections they have missed, not just presidential ones, but local ones as well. Do they care if our county adds a one percent sales tax, or if we can drink alcohol in restaurants on Sundays? Obviously not.

And why aren’t they registered?

It seems they haven’t had time. Now, since I graduated with one of the women, I know exactly how long it’s been since she turned 18. Let’s suffice it to say that she’s had PLENTY of time to register.

Their second excuse? They didn’t want to be called for jury duty. Are these people that important that they can’t serve on a jury if called? I have only been called once and was more than happy to do my part in convicting a known drug dealer.

Right or wrong, for better or worse, at least I vote. And that is something to brag about at the next high school reunion.

1 comment:

Angela McRae said...

It's so lovely those two ladies have each other. When their company has layoffs one day soon thanks to the national economy they decided to remain silent on, at least they will be able to commiserate together about how very out-of-touch they both were. (Yes, I'm cranky about people who don't vote!)